Families love harvest season in Central New York. Young and old alike swarm to orchards, flock to farmers markets and savor seasonal fare at locavore restaurants come fall.
It’s a fantastic time to pick pumpkins, sip cider and navigate corn mazes. It’s also easy to plan a U-pick trip. So, pack up the minivan and take a colorful scenic drive through Central New York with these U-pick tips.
Check the Season for Fruit and Veggie Picking
Central New York is U-pick country throughout the growing season, so fall apples and pumpkins aren’t your only options. Plenty of farms produce berries, corn and even fresh herbs in their respective seasons.
Apples and pumpkins ripen in September and October. Here are the peak picking seasons for other popular produce according to PickYourOwn.org:
- Blackberries: mid- to late July
- Flowers and herbs: mid-July 15 to mid-September
- Blueberries: August to mid-September
- Corn: August to late September
- Raspberries: mid-August to late September
Make Your Own U-Pick Trail
The scenic family road trip filled with fall colors is one of the best parts of a U-pick trip in Central New York. It’s easy to make a day or weekend using these CNYFresh suggestions.
Here are just a few of our favorite fall U-pick spots in Central New York …
- Lone Maple Farm – Binghamton, NY
- Our Farm – Cazenovia, NY
- North Star Orchards – Westmoreland, NY
- Middlefield Orchard – Cooperstown, NY
- Dyn’s Cider Mill – Richfield Springs, NY
- Fly Creek Cider Mill & Orchard – Fly Creek, NY
- Willy’s Farm & Cider Mill – Schenevus, NY
- Sand Flats Orchard – Fonda, NY
- Bellinger’s Apple Orchard – Fultonville, NY
- Conbeer’s Farm – Fonda, NY
Take a Break
You can’t help but get hungry when you’re out on the U-pick trail.
Stop for a bite in one of Central New York’s quaint communities like Sharon Springs or Fort Plain. Head to Greater Binghamton and grab some spiedies or other cultural cuisine.
Food isn’t the only attraction in Central New York. There are plenty of places for family fun, outdoor adventure or both at places like the Wolf Mountain Nature Center.
Stay the Night
There are numerous ways to make a day of it in Central New York and there are just as many places to stay when one afternoon just isn’t enough.
Extend your U-pick trip with an overnight at a hotel or keep the outdoor theme going at a campground.
Bring It All Back Home
With all the farms, markets, festivals and agri-attractions in Central New York, you’ll have plenty of great produce and memories to bring back with you. Turn a U-pick trip into an unforgettable family journey through the sights, sounds and tastes of Central New York this fall.